To ensure a safe Halloween experience, the following suggestions from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department/Crime Prevention are for families with children of all ages. Halloween is a fun and exciting time for kids and parents. Have a safe and enjoyable night by being prepared for trick or treating!
Before Children Go Out:
- Make sure costumes fit properly and allow for ease of movement. Shoes should be size appropriate and not be oversized or hard to walk/run in.
- Props should be free from jagged edges or sharp points. Allow free hands though and do not create a look that requires young children to carry anything other than their candy bag.
- Choose reflective materials and flame resistant additions to costumes.
- Face paint allows for better vision/hearing than masks which may be too big or small for a child's face.
- Organize kids in groups with adult supervision at all times.
- Include flashlights or other light sources for sidewalks, street crossings, etc.
While Out And About:
- Obey all traffic and pedistrian laws. Cross only at marked intersections and be on the lookout for traffic at all times.
- Kids are easily distracted and do not pay attention to their surroundings. Adults must be aware of this at all times.
- Stay within known boundaries and avoid unknown homes or areas.
- Pre-plan your route and have a designated return time.
- Never invite a child into your home, or allow your child to enter a home.
- Review treats before eating and discard anything that you can not verify or that looks previously opened or tampered with.
- Have rules and communication with older children if they go without an adult.